Sunday, December 8, 2013

Welcome 2014 Color of the Year: Radiant Orchid







Leah Michele via Glamour





This is closer to Fuchsia Rose, the 2001 color of the year, than Radiant Orchid, but it does appear to have a little Radiant purple undertones in it to me.




Radiant Orchid & Fuchsia Rose Pantone colors of the year for 2014 and 2001.



 I've already seen conversations in different places on the net where people are comparing this to mauve and the 80's. This color is anything but 80's to me.  What people sometimes do not realize is that it's all in the way it's presented. I'm not a big fan of the color burgundy, but when viewing a glass of burgundy wine in a candlelit atmosphere, it's warm and inviting, even sensuous.  So, finding where to use the color, the correct doses, as well as what to pair it with makes all the difference.  There is no one size fits all answer, either. Design is very personal. There are no rules for your home.

   And of course if you just hate the color period, there is nothing wrong with that. Trends will come and go. The most important thing is enjoying your home and life!

If you are looking for tips on how to incorporate this as a wall color, then Lisa Mende of  "Lisa Mende Design" wrote a post on how to use it on your walls this year.


The Miu Miu blouse is a double threat. Not only is it plaid, which is hot this season, but it's fashion forward in that it incorporates next year's "it" color, Radiant Orchid.  The Miu Miu blouse and scarf are currently on sale.

Marc Jacobs eye shadow palette 


  I wanted to present beautiful AND affordable options but it was hard to find items in this color for home decor that I liked right now, and in the fashion world it was hard finding anything moderately priced, but beautiful. I'm sure there will be a lot more affordable options this Spring.



I try to always find the original source for an image which is not always possible. If an image is improperly credited then please leave a comment or email me and I will change it immediately.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy,
    How awesome! My 4 year old must be a fashionista or something because this is her favorite color. She is literally having us accent her room walls with this color. A gal ahead of her time. Love it!

    Sincerely,
    Karina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That's awesome, Karina! I'd love it you shared it on your blog. I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  2. i bet there are! love this color, I think I may have a few pieces in my closet too already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really like this color!! And I love Leah Michelle's coat. The blouse and lipgloss you added to the board would be something I'd wear, too. Thanks for all the information - I'll be on the lookout. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, too. Plus I thought it was so bold and different than what you see most design bloggers working with. It will be interesting to see what happens this next year with design or if everyone will just ignore it.

      Delete
  4. I was already trending in this colour at home!:-). I am a colour lover anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This IS a fun color and for spring I think the color of the moment is lavender. Love the bow tie blouse. I need more of these.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It is, isn't it? It's a lot different than what I am use to seeing, so I think it will be a lot of fun this next year in regards to how the design world utilizes it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Barbara!

      Delete